Review of my Polaris Sportsman 550 XP

First off, I love this 4wheeler.  Part of the reason I love it is due to the fact that I needed it so badly to do work on my lease, the other reason is that it has all the features I wanted and then some.  The Polaris Sportsman 550 is a very big rig.  Bigger than I realized in fact.  I have had it now for approximately 4 months, and taken it on many trips to the lease. 

The pros:
1)  It is very strong.  There is no doubt it has the muscle.  Towing a trailer full of corn, me, a passenger, and 2 cargo racks full of gear was effortless.  Keep in mind that when I was shopping for a 4wheeler, I was thinking I could get a 350 or 400 size rig that had an automatic tranny, but this was not true (or I didn't see one), so the Polaris 550 was the smallest motor that had an automatic, and I happen to like the Polaris look/feel.

2)  I like the composite rack and with the lock & ride accessory items.  I have the gun boot and this new cargo box.  This thing holds a ton of loose gear items that otherwise wouldn't be convenient to take out.  Plus, with this box, I don't have to worry about stuff bouncing out or getting dusty/dirty/wet/etc.

3) Features.  This thing has everything except power steering.  4wd, automatic, low/high beams (and the low beams are plenty bright), electronic fuel injection, composite racks that hold over 300 lbs... All the reasons I bought it.

Cons:  There aren't many, but hey, here they are if I am honest.
1)  It is big... perhaps too big.  It barely fits in my truck bed, and is begging for a trailer.  I picked a 4wheeler over a side-by-side for the size.  Figuring it would have a smaller footprint in the garage, and eliminates the need for a trailer.  This is mostly true, except that it is only smaller in that it fits in my bed, but so close, that it is almost as big as a side-by-side.


2)  A follow-up to the above, driving this thing into the bed of the truck with ramps is a nerve racking experience.  There is nothing fun about it.  From setting up the ramps, parking so the angle is minimized, and trying not to ram the back of the cab or roll it while backing out... I hate every second of it.  A trailer wins hands down on this issue by sanity, safety, complexity, etc.  The trailer only loses on cost/space.

3)  It is noisy... but only compared to an electric vehicle.  I had been seriously considering a golf cart that was lifted for the lease, and this would have helped, but I would have lost power, speed, ability, had to get the trailer (which I may end up with anyway), but gained some seating space.

[Updated/Added 10/24/2011]
4)  The Polaris Fuel Injection starting system sometimes takes a second or 2 to turnover when cranking it up for the first time.  Like the starter doesn't ignite instantly when you turn the key.  Doesn't feel right, but the Polaris techs have told me that is normal.

[Updated/Added 10/24/2011]
5)  Because it is an automatic transmission, easing into first gear when you first engage the throttle feels a bit jerky as the centrifugal force of the "CVT" style transmission engages into gear.  It works, but it is significantly different from a manual transmission style.  You definitely notice this more on a street surface versus a trail or grass.

Conclusion:
All in all, I am thrilled with my choice and selection.  I love the Polaris brand and that its an American company, another factor in my purchase.  I look forward to many years riding this rig and utilizing its power to do the work on the lease and just take the family for rides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public lottery hunt... planning phase.

I feel lucky...

Plot is set, blinds are set, now we wait!