2011 Deer season (rifle) in Texas is 1 week away!

So, what rituals and things do you do to prepare?  Here is my breakdown of things I have been doing this month to get ready for the season (in no particular order).

  • I have been going out every week or so to pull SD cards from my cameras in anticipation!  Trying to figure out when the deer are coming/going as well as WHAT deer are coming/going.  It certainly hasn't helped my buck fever.
  • Sighted in the guns.  My brother and I went to the range and made sure all the guns were still on target.  We each shot the 3 rifles we'll use this season to ensure we are both seeing the same results.  We are using:
    • Marlin .30-30 with a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 scope.  Real nice brush gun, but I want to put a 3-9x50 scope on it.  I have shot maybe 2 deer with this gun.
    • Remington 700 ADL .270 with a Leupold VX2 3-9x50 scope.  My first gun, and it has been a solid rifle for years.  I have taken MANY deer with this gun.
    • Remington 700 SPS .308 Left handed with a Nikon Monarch 3.5-10x50 scope.  This is my newest rifle and it is fantastic.  This gun has a bull barrel and I used it last year to take my first deer with it.  This gun is very accurate and comfortable to shoot.
  • Washed my clothes in the Scent Killer laundry detergent and dryer sheets.
  • Got my Thermacell all set in my backpack to ward off mosquitos.
  • Got my game cleaning "kit" to make sure I have sharp knives, gloves, zip ties, and the like for after a harvest.
  • Feeders on the lease are set to run twice a day
  • Corn has been loaded
  • Food plot has been planted and and fertilized.
I am sure there are more, and I will add them... but I am curious what other people might do to prepare for the season?

Pics from the other day:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public lottery hunt... planning phase.

I feel lucky...

Plot is set, blinds are set, now we wait!