Kansas Pheasant Hunt

Thanks to my father-in-law and some of his ol friends, I had the opportunity to go pheasant hunting for the first time in Glen Elder, KS.  We hunted with Don's Guide Service, and it was TOP NOTCH!  Don and his wife, Cheryl, had us on birds all week, and they were great to hang out and hunt with.  Good people.

Don and his wife have 13 German Shorthaired Pointers that work the field like pros.  Seeing those dogs on point was a thrill.  When the birds flushed, hearing the roosters crow as they take off was a heart pounding experience I'll never forget!  We hunted 3 days, and took limits (4 per person and we had 6 hunters) 2 days, and on the third day I only hunted half day in order to get to the airport, but I assume they got another limit. 

I took a Browning Silver Hunter automatic and a Fausti over-under.  Don quickly told everyone to put the over-under back in the case.  You can take the plug out of your autos and hunt with 5 rounds, which makes follow-up shots on multiple birds that much quicker.  Less time spent reloading, and more time hunting.  Since pheasants are not migratory birds, the plug is not required.





On the morning we were leaving, my father-in-law and I could only hunt the morning hunt, so we went to the field.  It was COLD at around 27 degrees and the wind blowing.  Not long after we started the hunt, the flurries began.  By the time we left the field it was snowing pretty good.  I took a few photos when we got back, but the snow was really coming down. 






What a hunt!  If you ever have the opportunity to go pheasant hunting, even more so in Kansas, I can't recommend it enough.  Great experience, particularly hunting with Don's outfit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public lottery hunt... planning phase.

I feel lucky...

Shot a nice buck a few weeks back...