Deer season ended with a bang

Sorry I am so late on this post, but nevertheless here it is...

My brother and I sat in the stand on Saturday morning for the final weekend of black powder season in our neck of Texas.  As my brother doesn't currently own a black powder rifle, he was borrowing one of my very generous friends Thompson Center Omega with open sights.

We had agreed beforehand that we wanted to take a single doe (or my brother would take a legal buck if the opportunity presented itself).  So, the first one to have an opportunity would shoot and we'd be done. 

Well, we got to the lease around 5:45am, and it was a brisk 30 degrees, that quickly dropped to 26 degrees at sunrise (according to weather.com).  I didn't see a single thing all morning, but my brother was surrounded by action.  He had 2 small 4 points eating under the feeder for about 45 minutes, including a bit of sparring.  They eventually moved on, and around 7:30am some does came out.  My brother decided to take a shot at the biggest doe that had come out.  The shot was about 80 yds, and with the smoke and steam it took an eternity to see the outcome.  I heard the shot and immediately texted him to confirm it was his.  He replied "Yep!".  So, since we had agreed we were done after the shot, I called him.  I asked if it was lying there, and he said he couldn't tell, but he thinks it ran off.  I told him to come pick me up on the 4-wheeler and we'd go give it look.  We looked for 30-45 minutes without finding a drop of blood, or a spec of hair. 

Conclusion:  he missed.  Open sights, black powder, gun he had never fired.  No harm there, but wish he'd have gotten it.

Either way, it was a beautiful final morning, and I got to spend it with my brother.  Can't wait for my kids to grow up and be able to start hunting with me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public lottery hunt... planning phase.

I feel lucky...

Shot a nice buck a few weeks back...