Turkey season is coming up in Texas

Turkey season lasts the duration of April in most states that I know of, and it is just around the corner.  I follow the blog of Toxie Givens (primarily for his deer blogs/videos of the Reality Hunt Club), and he post this post a week or so ago of some turkeys in his backyard!  It really got me fired up!  I need to find a place to get on some birds this year (and next year for sure if I can't make it happen this April).

Turkey hunting is one of those experiences that are so unique and invigorating that its is truly hard to describe.  I have hunted turkeys maybe about 5-7 times, and harvested only one.  All but one of those hunts were in South Carolina with my Uncle Jim hunting the Eastern species.  That is some tough hunting!  When a big Tom gobbler is within 50 yards and hammers down gobbling it makes your rib cage vibrate, and it is quite intense as you wait for the opportunity to see the bird and get a shot.  Her is the picture of a double my uncle and I took in April 2004.

There is a "notorious" story about this hunt, that my uncle stills gives me grief about.  These two birds came out at the same time and worked their way over towards a Jake decoy we had setup at about 25 yds.  My uncle and I were positioned to take the birds at the same time, however the bird that was on my side was mostly behind the decoy.  I told Jim that if I shoot, I was definitely going to put some pellets in the decoy as well.  He said let's do it.  Well, we did the "1, 2, 3, SHOOT!!!" and shot 3 birds...  2 nice gobblers and decoy :) 

Ah, reminiscing makes me want to go so bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public lottery hunt... planning phase.

I feel lucky...

Shot a nice buck a few weeks back...