Annual Thanksgiving Goose Hunt

For almost ten years now, my family has a tradition of going on a goose hunt the day after Thanksgiving.  A couple of things caused us to have to do this on Saturday this year.  Well, I'll cut to the chase, the hunt was an absolute bust (from a hunting perspective).  Its ALWAYS a good thing to get out with your friends/family and spent time outdoors.

We got to Eagle Lake around 5:30am and were in the field and setup by 6:15am.  By 7 the RAIN was coming regular and steady.  It was raining hard and the wind was blowing.  The birds were there but they were certainly not coming to this field.  We saw lots of flocks and they were moving and even in the wind and rain they were still flying pretty high.  With the front moving through and the cold temperature setting in with the soaking rain (and the fact that we hadn't shot a bird), we called it a day at 10am.  Quite discouraging to say the least.  It is also probably the wettest I have ever been while hunting anything!  Side note, turned out my truck had a leak in the 3rd brake light on the cab of my truck, and it soaked and stained my leather but that is getting fixed.
This is me BEFORE the rain really started coming in.

Cousin Tom eagerly waiting

My older brother Tony, ready for the onslaught


I let my brother use my gun (Remington 870 Express pump) and I was using my usual Benelli Super Black Eagle (left-handed).  After the hunt, the amount of water, mud, and rice seed from laying in the pasture that was caked in these guns was surprising.  A nice overhaul and they are good as new!

We have been hunting with Butch's Guide Service (Butch Waggoner and his son Ryan Waggoner) for years, and they are an excellent outfit.  We didn't take a single bird that morning, and only 3 of us (out of 8) even fired a shot!  Regardless, Ryan offered us an immediate rain check and we are going again over the Christmas holidays.  So, I am very much looking forward to that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public lottery hunt... planning phase.

I feel lucky...

Shot a nice buck a few weeks back...