Need a disc to really prep the food plot

I have been doing a LOT of reading on food plot preparation, and the best way to prep my field to accomplish this. RECAP:  Last year I had the filed mowed, then used my drag harrow to scratch the ground surface right after a rain.  Then I threw some scatter seed on the surface with some fertilizer, and re-harrowed to try and get a decent seed/soil contact.  It yielded pretty good, but it was far from what the "pictures" show and what I know is possible.  Side bar, I am also aware that last year was an incredibly dry year, and thus moisture was an issue.

To that end, I acquired an additional implement for my ATV, the plow, however I am missing the most critical one in my opinion...  a disc.  With the disc, when done properly (and regularly), I won't need to have the field mowed/round up/ground cleared every year.  Those are not bad things to do first, but having a disc eliminates that as a requirement.  I don't have regular access to a mower, and the cost to rent one each time OR coordinating with someone who has one, is a limiting factor.  I can mitigate both of those options by buying an ATV disc.  I have been researching a good disc for my ATV, and I have come to 2 options.  Any opinions on WHAT disc to acquire?

  1. The GroundHog Max is a bad little plow! 
    • Positives:  $399, which is reasonable.  It attaches directly to the receiver hitch, and uses the weight of the ATV to apply down force to the disc plates.  It also gives you significant maneuverability, in that you can go in reverse as well.  Storage, its small and compact, and can be transported and stored easily (compared to tow behind style).
    • Negatives:  It attaches directly to the receiver hitch, and could add stress to the hitch or break the plow.  The internet reviews on this are mixed.  You have to raise up the rear of the ATV to install it for plowing in order to get the desired depth, so you have to have a 4x4 or something to put it on.  Also, it has a narrow cutting width, and you would have to go over an area lots of times if the brush is thick, or the soil is compact, etc.  Some people recommended waiting until after a rain, but I have heard this on most "atv disc" reviews.  Also requires a 2" receiver hitch, and I currently have a 1.25" installed.  I would need to upgrade this for another $100 or so to support it.
  2.  The King Kutter ATV Compact Disc is a serious piece of equipment!
    • Positives:  Its is big and heavy, and will get the job done.  It has a nice jack to raise/lower the wheels for easy transportation.  It has a 48" wide cutting width to speed up the job.  Easily attaches to a hitch ball mount, instead of needing a 3-pt implement attachement, like the Kolpin stuff.
    • Negatives:  $899.  That's a lot of bank, but I have some Cabelas gift cards to offset some of it.  It is big and cumbersome and therefore less maneuverable.  It would severely limit my ability to put in a food plot in the back of my lease on the narrow fire-lanes and trails.  Storage, where will I put this thing.  I don't have a barn/shed of any kind at my lease, and toting to/from my lease will not be pleasant.
Where am I???  I am leaning towards the King Kutter because it is available at Cabelas, and I have some gift card cash their.  I also don't have to change anything to do it, just hook it up and tow.  However, it is

Alright, now I need opinions, experiences, feedback, whatever, etc.  I don't have access to a tractor of any kind, otherwise this would all be moot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public lottery hunt... planning phase.

I feel lucky...

Shot a nice buck a few weeks back...