I feel lucky...

As I have started blogging, and thinking about all the hunts I have gone on over the past couple of years, there is a common thread for me and my hunting experiences. Either my uncle or my father-in-law (FIL) were there. Both of them are like father figures to me, even though I do have a very wonderful and loving father (a non hunter). All of my hunting adventures and experiences have been magnified by having the two of them with me, in particular in the outdoors. Being in the outdoors is a gift and an honor, and spending it with two of my best friends has truly been special for me.

My uncle lives in South Carolina, and during my early hunting ventures, he really nurtured my spirit and friendship by "training" me and pointing out things I didn't know as well as building up my excitement, hence the father figure-esque description. But, he never did it in a condescending way. I truly count him in my circle of best friends. I shot my first buck, turkey, and goose with him! (Now, the buck I shot I thought was a doe, but turned out to be a very short horned spike... long story, pretty embarassing, but a buck nonetheless! It was DARK man!!!! Ok, it was dark, I shouldn't have shot... crap, you got me.)

My FIL has taken me on some spectacular hunting and fishing adventures. And while we are out whereever, we talk, bond, hunt, and have had great times. I have met many of his coworkers and friends, and they all speak marvels about his character, and I see it everyday. He has become one of my best friends. I feel very blessed to have such wonderful in-laws, and know that I am very lucky.

Maybe its the Thanksgiving/Christmas season that is making me reflect, but I just wanted to share, and hope you are as lucky as me. Its not the success of the hunt that matters, but the experience of the outdoors (to me).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Truly blessed with them in your life and not just for the hunting/fishing aspect. Your FIL is a great man and we could not have gotten a better uncle. I remember the days were we would sit out in the field with Jim goose hunting. Many days we wouldn't get a goose but it was good times. Those were the days bro.
FrankFlannery said…
Amen, Tom. You, too. You also have a great uncle (same as mine :) ) and a great FIL.
Anonymous said…
yes you do have a great uncle. and in the upcoming years i have a feeling another person will be you all hunting.

Popular posts from this blog

Public lottery hunt... planning phase.

ATV Plow put together and ready for the food plot planting season